Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cowtown Half Marathon


On Saturday, I competed in the Fort Worth, TX Cowtown Half Marathon (13.1 miles). Competed isn't really an accurate description, because really all I wanted to do was finish. I started training several months back and was so excited about the improvement I was making, and then POW! BOOM! BANG! and maybe even ZOWIE! I hurt myself trying to get the high score on the Wii Fit Hula Hooping. I do believe that I did manage to beat the top score, but then I paid for it dearly. Apparently I suffered a groin pull. My friend Angela and I have gotten a lot of mileage off of the work "groin". It's just one of those bad sounding words.

Anyway, for more than a month I've been trying to allow this injury to heal while keeping up my training. It didn't work so well, so for about 3 weeks, I didn't run at all. I went through with the race because it was a goal I had set, and I was feeling really pretty good. I didn't suffer too much during the race, but I wasn't able to run as fast as I could have done had I been able to keep up with my training. As the day of the event drew closer, we started watching the weather forecast. We have been having beautiful weather, so that was what we were expecting. As luck would have it, a cold front moved in the night before the race. It was freezing. To add to it, we got stuck in traffic, and missed the start of the race. We started 25 minutes late, so for the first 4 miles we ran past all of the walkers. At that point, I knew that I needed to slow down my pace, so I let my friend, Heather, run on ahead so that she would have a decent time. I hit the wall at about 11 miles and wasn't sure if I could keep it up. I really don't remember much about the last 2.1 miles, but apparently I conquered. Here I am on my way to the finish line.

Lance came to support me, and to take a few photos. He was so cold that it was hard for him to get a decent shot of an already moving target. Wow! Look how fast I was moving!


Crossing the finish line.



Heather and I sporting our medals and holding onto a nice hot cup of chamomile tea. It was great! I think I'll do it again.



9 comments:

dlriley said...

So proud of you Karen. Way to push through.

House of Girls said...

Wow Karen I didn't know you were a marathon runner! Kyle's getting a team together to do the Ragnar relay from San Antonio to Austin!

Rydgd said...

I am toally impressed! I'm still working up for a 5K! :) Congrats!

Julie said...

WAY TO GO! I am so proud of you. My next-door neighbor (and running partner) ran in that 1/2 marathon too! In support of her, I ran 8 miles at the park on Saturday which is the longest I've run ever. Great job girl!

Amber said...

You are now my new hero! Congratulations on a wonderful accomplishment.

Kerry said...

You go girl! I hope I never run that far!

I can't believe that you just told all your friends and family that you got injured playing Wii!!! Crazy-that's why we're not getting one!

Jen Guthrie said...

Run girl Run...way to go...I would of opted for the groin excuse and read about it in the paper...or of course just cheered my friend on...you amaze!

Buxton Family said...

Great job Karen! I'm super impressed. Congratulations.

Buxton Family said...

Karen, After hearing the details I am doubly impressed. We miss you,

Wade