Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Mouse in the House


This is what my closet looked like yesterday morning. It was a mandatory cleaning due to an unwanted guest. The kids were playing in my closet and Brennan made a discovery.

Yes, we had a mouse. After cleaning all of the top shelves on Lance's side of the closet, and finding what I thought to be the mouse's nest, I thought my job was done. I was wrong. For some reason, the mouse was enamoured with one of my sweaters. This is the remnants of what it removed from the main body of the sweater.


This is the fabulous new design that that sweet little creature left for me.
I was thrilled. It also chose to chew a few holes in the beautiful quilt that Lance's great grandmother made for him. I feel sick about it.
The best part of the story is that while I was on the phone with my sister-in-law, Jodie, telling her all about the three hours of closet cleaning that I had done, and the mountains of laundry I was in the midst of, I picked up a blanket to put it in the washer, and out ran the mouse. It frightened me a-so that I hung up on Jodie. Fortunately, Daisy is an excellent mouser. She chased it into the bathroom where I was able to trap it under an empty coolwhip bowl. Sophie's friend, Kelli, was there, and thought that the whole ordeal was so exciting and fun that I should release the mouse and chase it some more. I didn't like that idea, so I let it go outside. My guess is that it's missing the warm home that it thought it had. We're wondering what it was eating? Sweater? Blanket? Plastic bags? Hmmm.


7 comments:

dlriley said...

Oh my. You know when I discover a sweet little mouse, or the trail of that sweet little mouse in my house, I always give him fair warning that the house is mine and he must leave or suffer the consequences. I know it sounds silly but I just feel that I have to give him a chance to do what's right. Of course they rarely do and if try to force them to leave, they will eveutally find their way back so....I don't feel bad about it. The house is mine after all they have the whole outside to live in!!
Great story.

Chantel said...

That's so funny, sad about Lance's blanket, but funny. Your sweater must have made for nice bed making material.

Leanne said...

Eewwwww. I hate mice. And your poor sweater.

Julie said...

Ha ha. The story is priceless -- but I would have HATED to have to live through it. Good for Daisy for trapping it!!! My dog would have had it in its mouth and then I would have really freaked out. I can't believe you set it free -- I hope it was far, far away from your house.

Buxton Family said...

I loved reading this story and seeing the pictures. Despite it being a horrible ordeal to go through, it makes for a funny memory.

Amber said...

What a memory. Way to show the mouse who's boss! So sad about the blanket, but it's great that you caught him. You should have put a lid on the container and taken him for a drive. I hope he doesn't move back in...

Us Craven's said...

Du Chien!!!! Degoutant! Desole- C'est une cauchemar! I only like Mice in cages! Des petites Souris!