Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Turtle

This time it wasn't the kids, it was the mom that brought home the baby animal/reptile. We had box turtles in our yard when we lived in West Texas, and we loved them, so when I saw this cute little baby while out jogging, I just couldn't resist. I brought him home only to discover, after doing a bit of research, that he's a red eared slider. (We really don't know if it's a he or a she, but we generally refer to it as a boy.) This means that he's an aquatic turtle, and needs to be in the water half the time.


A friend let us borrow their aquarium, so we figured that we'd keep him for a month and watch him grow. Then, we'll release him into a nearby pond. He sure is cute, but I really don't think that he wants to spend his life in an aquarium in some one's home. Besides that, I'm already tired of making everyone wash their hands really well after handling him.
We went to the pet store and bought some turtle food for him. He seems to really like it. We don't have a filter on the tank, so it's necessary to wash it out every day.


He really likes to hide under his rock most of the day.As expected, he's a pretty good swimmer.

2 comments:

Buxton Family said...

What a cute turtle. Can't wait to meet him in person!

Katie said...

OK, the pictures are killing me. How can you and Lance look just the same, but the kids keep getting bigger? I guess that's a good thing?
Adorable pics.
Say "hey" to everyone for me.
Love ya!