Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Baby Bird

I'm always complaining that my kids don't play outside as much as I'd like them to (my fault, I know, I should kick them out and lock the doors). Maybe it's a good thing, because when they do play outside, they bring homes things such as this recently hatched baby bird. They really wanted to try feeding it, so we soaked a piece of dry cat food in some water, and fed it with a dropper. At one point I though we had killed it for sure. It's throat was swollen to the size of a small grape with the food we had given it. Within an hour it had managed to swallow it, and was asking for more.
Amazingly enough, it lived through the night. I can't stand to let it starve to death, and I'm not going to intentionally kill it, so what can I do besides keep feeding it?

It's really quite an ugly little critter. One of those, "it's so ugly it's cute" things.
It doesn't have it's eyes open yet, and is mostly bald. I'm guessing that it's one of those little brown birds that are everywhere around here.
The cry for food!

No comments: